Bold Adventurers

Elder Reed and Sister Vicki Fanning, LDS Senior Missionaries

February 27, 2016


This morning Elder Fanning went to work on a moving crew. One of the sailors in the Ward is getting a medical separation from the Navy and is moving his family into town from the base.  They had a lot of stuff for a family of six.  There were a lot of men from the Ward helping, so he did not stay very long.

We left about 12:30 for grocery shopping on the base.  We had to shop on a busy day since we were unable to get it done yesterday.

We got a call from Candy.  She needed someone to watch Taylor while she took her sister to the airport.  With all of their kids, there was not enough room in the car.  She tried to get someone else to watch him, but was unable to find anyone.  We told her we would, but had to leave for Visalia at 5:00.

We took the groceries home and put the cold and frozen things away.  We headed right back to the base.

We went to Candy’s first and met her sister.  We visited for a while and then left with Taylor, our six-year-old mini missionary-in-training.  We stopped to visit with Coral’s daughter.  She is on Elder Fanning’s home teaching list, but when we come, she usually leaves the room and we talk to Coral.  We found her on a blanket on the grass with her two kids.  We were able to visit with her, hold her baby, and also visit with Coral.

We next went to see Dick.  He had forgotten we were coming and took a nap.  We woke him up.  We stood outside on the porch to talk so the kids would not wake up.  His wife, Marie, is on an 8-month deployment.  He is really struggling.  We will try to see him at least twice a month.

Taylor was really good.  He was quiet, answered questions when asked, and shook hands.  We were very pleased with him.  On the way back to Taylor’s house, Elder Fanning dropped Sister Fanning off at Sabine and Sasha’s to help clean and declutter the house.  When she got there, the house was looking pretty good.  There was a sister from the Ward and her teenage son there.  Delta was helping sort things to keep, sell, and throw away.  While Sister Fanning was there, the sister missionaries came with one of the young single adults.  Sister Fanning stayed for about an hour and helped fold four loads of laundry.  She walked back to Candy’s house using the back pathways through the playgrounds behind the houses. It was not very far walking that way.

When she got there, she found Elder Fanning and Taylor playing a kids version of Mario Brothers.  After Elder Fanning lost, Sister Fanning took over and lost also.  Candy called and said she ran into traffic and would not make it by 5:00.  Sister Fanning called Tiffany and was able to get her to come over for a half hour so we could leave.

We got to The Vintage Press in Visalia right on time.  Elder and Sister Brown were already there.  We were celebrating our anniversary and having a farewell meal with them. Their mission is finishing and they are going home on Wednesday.  We had heard that this restaurant was the best in the valley.  We were not sure what to get, and were discussing our options from the menu and specials.  The couple next to us said they eat there all the time and said the roast pork tenderloin was “to die for.”  Elder Fanning and Elder Brown had the pork with mashed Yukon gold potatoes.  Sister Fanning had Armenian lamb shank over creamy polenta.  Sister Brown had pistachio crusted salmon with roasted potatoes.  The pork was the best we ever tasted.  In fact, all of the food was excellent. The homemade sourdough bread was the best bread we ever ate.  We split a small dessert sampler.  It was anything but small.  There was a hot fudge sundae with homemade almond brittle, a pecan tart with cinnamon ice cream and caramel sauce, a mini chocolate cream brulee, a mini flourless chocolate cake, and some chocolate mousse.  It was one of the best meals we have ever eaten.  However, it was also pretty pricey – not the kind of place to go to very often. We spent two hours eating and talking.  It was a very nice evening.

We got home about 9:15.  It had been a long busy day.

Single Post Navigation

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: